The current version of WhatsApp allows you to use the fingerprint functionality to unlock the app. On Android as on iOS, you can now configure your device and use your fingerprint whenever you want to access WhatsApp.
When the option is enabled, you will need to use your fingerprint to access the app. This feature keeps your conversations confidential, but does not offer an absolute guarantee in terms of confidentiality.
Lock WhatsApp with Fingerprint on Android
Before proceeding, be sure to perform the latest version of whatsapp. In addition, your device must have a fingerprint reader and be running Android version 6.0 or later, supporting Google's fingerprint API.
Read also: Cconfigure, activate the fingerprint on Android.
If you are already using the fingerprint to unlock your device, use the same finger for WhatsApp unlock. Otherwise your finger will be rejected, indicating that the fingerprint is not recognized. To lock WhatsApp with the fingerprint:
- Open WhatsApp and tap More options (three dots) to access the settings.
- In Parameters, open Account → Privacy → Fingerprint lock. You can access it by scrolling at the bottom of the screen.
- Press to activate the fingerprint lock and touch the sensor to start the setup.
- Once your fingerprint is recognized, you can then finalize the configuration.
- Select the length of time after which the fingerprint lock will take effect. Immediately or later. To display or not the extracts of new messages (senders and texts), activate or deactivate the option " Show content in notifications».
Proceed in the same way to deactivate the functionality. Open WhatsApp and go to settings. Account → Privacy → Finger Lock → Disable Finger Lock.
Lock WhatsApp with Touch ID or Face ID on iPhone
For iOS users, the term used to refer to fingerprint recognition is touch ID. Face ID meanwhile refers to facial recognition.
Read also: Set up Touch ID on iPhone and iPad.
On iPhone, do the following to lock WhatsApp with fingerprint:
- Open WhatsApp and go to the Settings.
- Go to Account → Privacy → Screen lock and press " touch ID " or " Face ID ”, If you want to use your iPhone's facial recognition to unlock WhatsApp.
- Select the length of time after which the fingerprint (Touch ID) or facial recognition (Face ID) lock will take effect.