Being a copy of your phone, a backup can be very important for protect data from your device or restore it if necessary. In case of breakage or loss, the backup would transfer your data to a new device. By losing the device, it also prevents you from losing data like contacts, pictures, messages, etc.
To backup iPhone and restore it, there are several methods you can use. From backing up in iCloud to specialized backup software, using Finder on macOS or iTunes on macOS and Windows.
Backup iPhone with iCloud
To alleviate any data loss issue, many choose to use iCloud to backup iPhone and restore it when needed. The feature allows you to store the backup in your iCloud account directly from your iPhone or iPad.
Here's how to backup your iPhone with iCloud:
- Go to Settings > Apple ID or your name > ICloud backup. Once in the menu, you can activate the automatic backup. This would cause your iPhone to automatically perform the backup once in standby, plugged into the mains and connected to Wi-Fi.
- Click on Save now to perform a manual backup.
By going to Settings> Apple ID or your name> iCloud, you can view your backups already made or delete one of your choice. For the backup in iCloud, having an internet connection is imperative.
Backup iPhone and Restore it with Finder
If you used to do this in iTunes, the version MacOS Catalina (10.15) no longer allows it. On this version of the operating system for Apple computers, iTunes has been removed, so it will be necessary to proceed through the application Finder. iTunes can still be used on Windows and for those running a version of macOS earlier than Catalina.
Here are the steps to backup iPhone and restore it with Finder:
- Plug your iPhone or iPad into Mac using a USB cable and launch Finder on your Mac.
- Your iPhone will appear on the left sidebar, click on it.
- In the tab General from Finder, check if " Backup iPhone to this computerIs checked. To encrypt your backup with a mot de passe, also check the option " Encrypt local backup », Otherwise just ignore. Remember, however, that this adds additional security to your backup, and prevents anyone accessing your computer from having access to it.
- Click on " Save now To start the backup, and wait for the end. For the first backup, the process takes a relatively long time, depending on the size of the files on your device. During this time, avoid unplugging your iPhone or iPad.
To restore your iPhone with Finder, it's just as easy. Use the button " Restore iPhone »Above the tab General from Finder. You will then choose a backup of your choice and start the restore. Backup via Wi-Fi is also possible.
Back up your iPhone with iTunes on Windows or macOS
To backup iPhone and restore it with iTunes, there is almost no special maneuver to perform. On macOS, you need to use the lower version than Catalina. On Windows, you will first have to download and install iTunes | 32 bits.
To back up your iPhone with iTunes, follow the same steps as for Finder. That is to say :
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to PC or Mac using a USB cable and launch iTunes on your computer. For Mac users, sometimes it is enough to plug in the iPhone for it to be recognized and opened by iTunes.
- Open your iPhone by clicking on it in iTunes. On your PC, click the iPhone button at the top left of the iTunes window. Then click on Summary.
- In the block " backups"At the bottom left, simply click on" Save now ". You also have to encrypt your backup with a mot de passe.
Wait for the backup to complete, while avoiding unplugging your iPhone or iPad. To view backups stored on your computer in iTunes, choose Edit > PreferencesAnd click Appareils. The list of backups performed will be present with the encrypted backups in the padlock icon.
In iTunes, you can also make a backup in iCloud. To do this, check " iCloud " instead of " Backup iPhone to this computer »And click on« Save now ».
To restore your iPhone, click on " Restore backup ". In the drop-down list of your backups, choose the one to apply, enter the password if necessary and proceed.
Backup iPhone and Restore it with iPhone Backup Extractor
iPhone Backup Extractor is one such software that you can use to backup your iPhone. Usable on macOS and Windows, it can back up an iPhone locally (USB) or by Wi-Fi. Via a Mac or a PC, it also allows access to saved data.
Here's how to backup iPhone and restore it with iPhone Backup Extractor:
- Download, install and launch iPhone Backup Extractor.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad via USB cable. Locate your iPhone to the left of the application, in " Connected devices". iPhone Backup Extractor almost presents itself as Finder for those using macOS.
- Click on the button Utility (Utilities) and on Save (Backup). Clicking on Home, the program will ask you to set a password to protect your backup.
There are other third party apps to backup iPhone and restore it on Windows. To say that iPhone Backup Extractor is not the only one.
Are you hesitating between an online backup and a local backup? Each of these two methods has its benefits and drawbacks. Regarding the backup on your computer, the advantage is that you will have your backups with you, managing your storage capacity. This type of backup is also fast and secure using a password. However, if you lose your computer, you lose everything.
As for the backup in iCloud, the speed depends on the quality of your internet connection. This backup is even more secure, but limited in terms of storage space (5 GB) and in terms of time. Please understand that your backups are deleted by Apple after 180 days.
Use your preferred method to backup and restore your iPhone. Was this article helpful to you? Tell us and don't forget to share with others.